VISIT FLORIDA administers the Minority Convention Grant program to assist local governments and non-profit corporations/organizations as they attract national minority conferences and conventions to Florida provided under Section 288.124, Florida Statutes. The Minority Convention Grant program is a reimbursement grant program. Grant funding may not be used to subsidize existing scheduled events. No applicant may be considered for or receive more than one Minority Convention Grant per fiscal year.
Allocation: The total for all grants awarded under this program shall not exceed $40,000. Multiple grants for varying amounts may be awarded. The funds will only be allocated to entities that propose an activity or promotional program whose purpose is to attract national conferences and conventions primarily involving minority persons to the state of Florida. Minority persons shall be as defined in Section 288.703, Florida Statutes, except they need not be residents of Florida. VISIT FLORIDA award funds once proof of expenditure and performance has been provided. All program expenditures must be completed during the fiscal year of the award and completed by June 15. VISIT FLORIDA will not reimburse any expenditure prior to the start of the fiscal year.
Eligibility: To receive an award under the Minority Convention Grant program, the applicant must be a local government or non-profit corporation or organization. Grant applicant must have prior experience hosting conferences or conventions.
Grant funds should be used for marketing purposes to attract national conferences and/or conventions to Florida through advertising (print, broadcast, digital, social media or out of home), direct mail, brochure production, sales videos and presentations, as well as other related projects/programs. Marketing efforts cannot include VISIT FLORIDA opportunities, i.e. Welcome Center brochure distribution or VISIT FLORIDA produced publications.
All marketing efforts must include the VISIT FLORIDA Grant Logo in compliance with the brand guidelines. The VISIT FLORIDA Grant Logo Guidelines can be found at www.VISITFLORIDA.org/grants in the Grants Toolkit.
VISIT FLORIDA encourages applicants to submit a detailed proposal defining each component and its related budget.
Applicants must propose a feasible and effective strategy for contacting meeting planners and assign one individual to be responsible for the contacts.
Applicants must estimate the economic impact of the conference or convention on the local area and the potential for generation of future business. Projects/Programs must have expressed support from other local governments and non-profits in the area.
No applicant may be considered for or receive more than one Minority Convention Grant per fiscal year.
All Grant application submissions must:
- Clearly define program concept
- The purpose of the grant program is to attract national conferences and conventions for minority persons to the state of Florida, not subsidize existing events.
- Economic impact of the program
- Quantify and estimate the economic impact of the conference or convention on the local area and also the potential for generation of future business.
- Detail marketing strategy.
- Include goals, objectives and desired outcome.
- Describe implementation plan and budget.
- Include timeline for marketing plan and detail budget expenses.
- Clearly demonstrate ability and/or prior experience
- To receive the grant the applicant must demonstrate their ability and/or prior experience of attracting/soliciting, and/or hosting national or regional conferences or conventions.
- Illustrate local support
- Show illustrated support of other local government and non-profits in the area.
- Demonstrate a need for advertising assistance
- Will this project happen without these grant funds?
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted starting January 3, 2019 at 8AM EST and closing February 18, 2019 at 11:59 EST.
Package Information: Please review the grant program package for complete guidelines. Download the Grant Program Guidelines.
For more information, contact us at grants@VISITFLORIDA.org.